Mandatory fees are assessed for university-related services available to students.
- Student Service Fee
$12.41 per hour
Student service fees are assessed in proportion to the number of semester credit hours for which a student registers to cover the cost of student services that directly involve or benefit students, including, but not limited to, recreational activities, artist and lecture series, cultural entertainment series, debating and oratorical activities and student government.
- Intercollegiate Athletics Fee
$16.25 per hour
This fee is assessed in proportion to the number of semester credit hours for which a student registers to cover the cost of UNT athletics programs, capped at 15 hours.
- Recreational Facility Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed Recreational Facility fee is collected from each enrolled student for the purpose of constructing and operating the Recreational Facility on campus.
- Environmental Services Fee
$5.00 Fall/Spring Only
The Environmental Services Fee is used to fund environmentally related projects/activities on campus such as energy and water conservation, waste reduction and recycling, sustainable campus dining and student projects. The fee is waived for students taking all of their courses off campus and is not charged for summer sessions.
- Student Union Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed Student Union fee is collected from each enrolled student for the purpose of operating, maintaining, improving and equipping the Student Union. Activities financed by the student union fee are limited to those in which the entire student body is eligible to participate.
- Technology Use Fee
$13.00 per hour
Technology use fees are collected in proportion to the number of credit hours for which a student registers to defray costs associated with the addition of instructional equipment in classrooms and student computer laboratories, development of the degree audit system and instruction-related activities in the Computing Center and classroom technology support.
- Medical Services Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
The fixed medical services fee is used solely to provide medical services to students enrolled at the university.
- Library Use Fee
$21.00 per hour
The library use fee is collected in proportion to the number of credit hours for which a student registers to support the development and maintenance of Library collections, as well as to provide expanded operating hours and other services to meet student needs.
- Undergraduate Advising Fee
$5.50 per hour
The undergraduate advising fee supports the advising function for undergraduate courses.
- Transportation Fee
$3.50 per hour
The transportation fee supports the shuttle bus systems that transports students to, and around, various locations on campus.
- International Education Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed international education fee is collected from each enrolled student to be used in support of an international education financial aid fund. This fund allows an equal opportunity for all students to participate in student exchange and study abroad programs.
- Publication Fee
Prorated in Summer sessions
A fixed publication fee is collected from each enrolled student to defray costs associated with publication and distribution of schedules of classes, catalogs, tuition and fee registers and other publications available to all students.
- International Student Fee
$100.00 per semester
A fixed international student fee is charged to all non-immigrant visa students for each term in which they enroll in UNT.
Instructional fees vary by course and fall into the following two fee categories. Please note that for billing purposes, these fee categories are grouped together and billed as one instructional fee.
Instructional fees will be due at the time of registration or the payment deadline for early registered students. These fees are refundable according to the university refund policy. If a student desires to know what portion of an instructional fee falls into each category listed below, they may contact Student Financial Services at 940-565-3225 or the Registrar's Office at 940-565-2111.
- Academic Fees - Academic Fees are assessed at the college/school level based on the estimated costs of goods and services related to instruction at the college/school level. Academic fees are charged to cover consumable supplies, syllabi, tests, classroom guest lecturers, salaries and wages of employees who assist in the preparation, distribution, and supply of classroom materials and some equipment purchases related directly to student participation in the classroom.
- Laboratory Fees - Laboratory fees are only applicable to courses which require students to register for a laboratory section. Laboratory fees are collected to cover the cost of materials and supplies used by students in the laboratory. The laboratory fee may not be less than $2 nor more than $30 for any one semester or summer term.
Please see below for a listing of academic fees by College:
*Fees listed are charged per hour
||FY 19 Fee
||GEOG GEOL ARCH WGST PHIL ECON SOCI COMM PSCI ARBC CHIN FREN GERM ITAL JAPN LANG LATI RUSS SPAN ENGL PSYC HIST
||ANTH TECM AERO
||DANC THEA MRTS
||COUN EDHE EDSP DFST EPSY EDEC EDRE EDAD EDSE EDCI EDUC EDLL EDME EDBE EDLE KINE HLTH RECR PHED EDEE HDFS
|CENG - UG
||BMEN CSCE EENG CNET ELET ENGR MEET MFET NUET MEEN MTSE
|CENG - GR
||BMEN CSCE EENG MSET MEEN MTSE
||ACCT FINA BLAW REAL RMIN BCIS DSCI MSCI ITDS MGMT BUSI LGAV LSCM MKTG OPSM
||MUAC MUAG MUAM MUAS MUCE MUCM MUCP MUED MUEN MUET MUGC MUJS MULB MUMH MUSM MUTH (All MUSI Prefixes)
||BEHV SOWK CJUS HLSV HLSR RHAB PADM EADP EMDS AGER ASLP (All HPS Courses)
||HMGT MDSE DRTL HFMD CMHT RETL
||LING INFO LTEC
||ART AEAH ADES ASTU
||BIOC BIOL CHEM PHYS TNTX MATH NCTM UGMT
Specific Program Fees
- College of Business Master's students are charged a Master's Program Fee. The fee is a flat $500.00 per semester. The purpose of the fee is to provide enhanced support services to College of Business master's students.
- College of Information Ph.D. Learning Technology online distance delivered students are charged a Distance Delivered Fee. The fee is $892.00 per course. The purpose of the fee is to provide enhanced support services.
- College of Education - Educator Preparation Program
The Texas Education Agency - Educator Preparation Program has implemented a $35 per admitted candidate accountability system for it's technology fee. This fee is collected by the College of Education and paid directly to the state.
Out-Of-State-Teaching Fee (OSTF)
- Non-resident students living outside of Texas while taking UNT courses (typically online) are charged an Out-of-State Teaching Fee in lieu of tuition and instructional fees. This fee must cover the cost of instruction and is set by each academic department annually. The OSTF rates (per semester credit hour) effective for Fall 2017-Summer 2018 can be found here. The OSTF rates for Fall 2018-Summer 2019 can be found here.
* The following fees are waived if students are only enrolled in courses at locations other than the Denton campus: Property Deposit, Medical Service Fee, Student Union Fee, Recreational Facility Fee, Transportation Fee, Environmental Services Fee and Intercollegiate Athletics Fee.
- Admission Application Fee
A $75.00 non-refundable application fee for undergraduate and graduate students.
- Late Application Fee
$90 for undergraduate students.
- Property Damage Deposit
All students, except those enrolled in only off-campus courses or covered by other specific waivers, must pay a $10.00 General Property Deposit at the time of first registering at the university. The deposit may be forfeited to cover any outstanding financial obligation at the university. The fee will otherwise be refunded to the student upon withdrawal or graduation from the university. If the deposit has not been refunded to the student within 4 years of the last enrollment, it will be forfeited as specified by state law.
- Late Registration Fee
A flat fee of $50.00 will be charged to students registering at any time during the designated late registration period. Effective Fall 2018 the fee will be $75.00
- Credit & Debit Processing Service Fee
2.7% service fee assessed on all payments made by credit and debit card. There is no service fee for paying by eCheck.
- Credit by Exam Fee
UNT awards undergraduate college credit on the basis of local and national examinations, subject to general limitations. Examinations are offered by several UNT departments. A $53.00 fee is collected from those students who take credit by examination at UNT.
- University Center at Dallas Fee
Students enrolling for upper-division undergraduate courses or graduate courses offered by the partner universities of the university Center at Dallas, may enroll at their home institution for courses offered by the other UCD universities. UCD is located in downtown Dallas. A $15.00 per hour fee is collected from students who are enrolled at UCD.
- Collin Higher Education Center Fee
Through Collin College, UNT offers one bachelor’s degree, 2 master’s degrees and 2 doctoral degrees at the Collin Higher Education Center. A $30.00 per hour fee is collected for students enrolled in UNT classes there.
- North Central Texas College Math Fee
A fee collected for students enrolled in NCTM math courses through North Central Texas College which pays for UNT instruction. The fee is charged as follows: In-District (Cooke County Residents) $85 per hour, Branch Campus $95 per hour, Out-of-District (In-State) $150 per hour, and Out-of-State $250 per hour.
- International Student Health Insurance
Health insurance is required for international students and will be assessed automatically at the time of registration for classes. For further information, please contact the UNT Student Health and Wellness Center.
- Optional Practical Training Fee All F-1 international students who choose to apply for Optional Practical Training (OPT), will be required to pay the OPT Case Management Fee. This fee is separate from the USCIS application fee. This fee will be used to subsidize the costs associated with the mandatory case management for students on Optional Practical Training after graduation.
12 Month Post-Completion OPT: $100
17 Month OPT STEM Extension: $100
- Distance Education Fee
A distance education fee of $35 per semester credit hour (beginning Summer 2018) will be assessed to all distance education courses to support and enhance instructional design, management, delivery, maintenance, coaching and technology for distance education courses. The fee will be capped at $210 per semester.
- School of Journalism Field Trip Fee The School of Journalism faculty led field trip fee of $1,345.29 is assessed to students who participate in a trip to New York to study the city’s advertising industry. The fee covers lodging and limited group meals (Effective Fall 2018).
- Parking Fees
- Child Development Laboratory
- Proficiency Exam Fees
Student Use of English: $15.00
Foreign Language Exam (Graduate): $15.00
- GED Exam (Cash Only)
- Placement Service Fee (for 6 months/former students)
- Returned Check Service Charge
- Installment Plan Fee
- Late Payment Fee
- Replacement ID Card
- Online Transcript Fee
- Graduation and Regalia Fees
Late Filing Fee: $25.00
Teacher Certification: $75.00
Microfilm Master's/Doctorate: $25.00
Degree candidates who are planning to attend the commencement exercise must acquire the appropriate regalia from the UNT Bookstore.